Posted by: Mitch | 2008/09/15

Shoulder pain still

I had my shoulder operated on about a year and a half ago i had my rotator cuff torn front and back from rugby i had physio done. I just started playuing cricket again now but cant throw hard or distances at all. That whole whip action hurts alot will it get better over time or what? thanks

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Mitch,

if your rotator cuff was repaired 18 months ago it should have recovered by now. something might be wrong and there are a few possibilities:

- the repair might not have been entirely successful, in other words the tendon may not have healed fully
-there may be some new problem: we see rarely that the sutue material or anchors used for the repaire can start irritating the shoulder and may need to be removed
-there may be some associated problems which occurred during the original injury which are persistent and may not have been repaired at the time of the surgery and are now becoming a problem- such a problem may have appeared as not too significant during the surgery due to the severity of the actual tear

From the above it is obvious that you may have to be reassessed and you should see your surgeon again to examine you

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer