Question
Posted by: Typheous | 2006/10/27

Shoulder Pain - Not Muscular Pain

Good Day,

For The Past Couple Of Weeks I Have Had A Pian In My Shoulder That I HAve Not Felt Before. Its Not A Pulled Muscle As I Have Felt That Pain Previously. I Suspect It Might Be A Torn Ligament Or Tendon Or Something Along Those Lines Although I Could Be Very Wrong As I Am Not An Expert. I Do Weight Lifting And Most Liking Got The Injury In That Way. If I Hold My Out Stretched Hand In Line With My Face And Lift A Can Of Coke It Pains Going Up And Putting It Down. I Sometimes Get A Warm Sensation Along My Traps Up To My Ear. The Pain Originates Where The Arm Meets The Shoulder Socket But Its Not Inside That Joint But Right On Top Just Under The Skin. If I Press The Point Of The Pain I Feel A Bone. I Hope This Info Is Enough For You To Help Me Sort This Out. I Don't Want To Miss Out On Gyming. Please Advise How To Best Heal It.
I Appreciate Your Time And Advise
Kind Regards
Typheous

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Typheous.

It could be a bursitis. This is an inflammation of a fluid filled sac that can sometimes become enlarged causing pain on tendons moving in and out of the shoulder to the arm.

There are also other possibilities including tendon calcifications and arthritis but the first sounds most likely.

An Xray of the shoulder will see if there is any calcium in the supraspinatus tendon or any arthritis on the shoulder.

Corticosteroid injections into the area are an initial mainstayt of treatment.
DrP

2
Posted by: Dr P | 2006/10/30

There are some exercises that may help but I'm afraid it's beyond the scope of this forum to physically show them. These include muscle strengthening and mobilizations.
Ice may help as well as anti inflammatories certainly.

DrPy

Reply to Dr P
Posted by: Typheous | 2006/10/30

Thank You Very Much For Your Response It Is Greatly Appreciated. Is There Anything Else That Could Heal This As I Am Not To Happy About Taking Cortizone? Would Anti-Inflammatory Like Arthrotec Help? Should I Stop Gyming The Shoulder Or Gym It Lightly? Is There foods That Have Nutrients That Could Help The Healing Process?

Reply to Typheous