Posted by: mike kelly | 2009/10/01

shoulder pain

can you explain what rotor cuff syndrome is

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Mike,
the word "rotator cuff syndrome" is to my mind a very vague and non-specific term. Physios and doctors often use the term when the diagnosis is uncertain. The rotator cuff is group of tendons on top of the shoulder deep to the deltoid muscle. This "syndrome" term is sometimes given to one of the specific conditions affecting the rotator cuff:

- impingement of the rotator cuff
-calcific tendinitis of the rotator cuff
-tears of the rotator cuff
-subacromial bursitis and rotator cuff tendinitis (also vague and often less certain)

Do have a look at our website and at the different conditions described there - i am sure you will find relevant informatioin there. If you have more questions feel free to ask. You may also use the contatct addressses on tbe website if you want to post more questions,


Dr Joe de Beer

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.