Posted by: Glen | 2006/10/27

Shoulder discomfort


I need a bit of advise please... I swim 1,5km 3 times a week and recently I've had a bit of discomfort in my right shoulder. Its not sore, but I was wondering if I should get it checked out earlier rather than later? And if so by who... a physiotherapist?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Glen

I'm a big supporter of early assessment. It may be a swimming related injury - perhaps overdoing it in the pool too soon and somehing that may require a week or two of easier training again before you increase to normal again. Or it may be completely unrelated. The only way to know is to have it assessed, so I do think this is wise. A physio is probably the best person at this stage - a GP is usually not that familiar with the nuances of sports related injuries, and a sports specialist is not warranted, at least at this stage, it would be a little over the top and unnecessary.

So see a physio and perhaps get some treatment, strengthening training and maybe some stretching and hopefully in 2 weeks, it's a thing of the past!

Good luck!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.