Question
Posted by: Glen | 2006/10/27

Shoulder discomfort

Hello,

I need a bit of advise please... I swim 1,5km 3 times a week and recently I've had a bit of discomfort in my right shoulder. Its not sore, but I was wondering if I should get it checked out earlier rather than later? And if so by who... a physiotherapist?

Thanks and enjoy your weekend.
Glen

Hi Glen

I'm a big supporter of early assessment. It may be a swimming related injury - perhaps overdoing it in the pool too soon and somehing that may require a week or two of easier training again before you increase to normal again. Or it may be completely unrelated. The only way to know is to have it assessed, so I do think this is wise. A physio is probably the best person at this stage - a GP is usually not that familiar with the nuances of sports related injuries, and a sports specialist is not warranted, at least at this stage, it would be a little over the top and unnecessary.

So see a physio and perhaps get some treatment, strengthening training and maybe some stretching and hopefully in 2 weeks, it's a thing of the past!

Good luck!
Ross