Question
Posted by: Nuraan | 2006/07/24

should we see a fertility specialist?

I'm 32 and my husband 37 and married for 14 months. We have not used any contraception and been hoping to conceive. I went for gynae check-up in March and she did some routine tests, in addition to the pap, and established that I was ovulating. My husbands sperm analysis was all normal, except for sperm morphology. She then put us on a multi-vitamin, Staminogro. We have been using it for four months now and have not conceived. We were wondering whether we had better see a fertility specialist, or if we should first do another semen analysis to know if there has been an improvement in morphology?

Dear Nuraan

The descision is entirely dependent on the degree of sperm morphological abnormality.
If the percentage normal forms was between 8-15% then it is worthwhile repeating the sperm analysis. Morphologies of less than 4% are usually unlikely to respond to conservative treatment and would require advanced ART (Assisted reproductive technology).
If the percentage normal forms on morphology is between 4-8%, this is a debateable situation and I would recommend a repeat spermiogram as well.

Furthermore, I would ASSUME that the gynaecologist has ruled out endometriosis and tubal obstruction as a likely cause of the infertility. If this has not been done , then it should be considerded as well, depending on the severity of the male factor problem.