Question
Posted by: SUGABABES | 2008/05/29

should i tell manager/hr

My husband is an addict & he's in rehab.
Ive decided to pay as long as he dont waste my money.if he relapes, me & my baby will b out.
He is not working because they dismissed him when he told the manager.Currently im the only one working for my family.It is so hard as i am struggling.Should I tell HR or my manager what is happening?
I dont know what to do and i have a history of borrowing money because ever since my baby was born we had money problems 9because of his drug habit)
My mother in law wont help, we are staying there in her flat.she demands rent money even though, she knows my husbands history. It is so frustrating.
Please help urgently.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Hi you need to make that very difficult decision for you and your baby - sit your husband down, firmly tell him that either he seeks help and takes it or the marriage and the support you are giving him could well disappear. It should be a good idea to chat to HR they usually will assist and give helpful advice. Good Luck!

1
Posted by: Andrew | 2008/06/19

Just my opinion,I have learned the hard way,not to disclose anything about my personal life to my employer,managers,co-workers etc,as doing so could only complicate an already difficult situation.[Poeple tend to talk,exagerate,slander etc when they have an idle moment]They should nothing about my personal life at all.If I were in your shoes I would seek help from some source other than work.eg clinical psychologist etc etc.As far as my job goes,I go to work and serve the emplyer enthusiastically and diligently in terms of my job for 40 hours a week.The rest of the week has nothing to do with them.If you disclose personal information about your home life,U could make yourself vunerable to unscrupulous people,and would give the mamagement the impression that U are too co-dependent on them,which could demeen U psychologically,lower your self esteem,with the result of making your already difficult domestic situation more difficult to bear.

Reply to Andrew