Question
Posted by: Smudge | 2008/07/31

should i supplement for osteopenia

I am 51. Just been for bone density and have mild to moderate osteopenia in back and left hip. Should I be taking supplements. I am very active - run, cycle and am a competitive quad biker.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Smudge
You are definitely doing the exercise bit enough. You need to also ensure a calcium intake of at least 1000mg per day- either in your diet alone or if you cannot manage that, add a supplement. Also have a repeat bone density done every 18-24 months to check on the progression as you are probably going to go through your menopause soon if you are not there already.