Question
Posted by: delilah | 2019/01/07

Offering to pay

I met this really nice guy a month ago. He really is a good guy. Recently his mom got very sick and needs meds that cost $3400.00. He started a new company which required that he purchase new expensive equip and put all his cash into this...His mom has psoriasis and is experiencing extreme pain. He thought he would pay for her meds when he got paid on a big job. but the supplier has not paid him yet due to the holiday season. He is really stressed about it ...I was thinking of offering to loan him the money as I do have it. He hasn't asked or anything but I feel sorry for the mom suffering like that when I can help. I would totally just loan him the cash and make it very clear it's payable. Is this a good idea?

- 2019/01/08

Hello Delilah,
On the whole. I'm not sure I would offer to lend him the money : money matters between friends so often spoil the friendship ( as well as lose the money ).  You have only known him about a month, so you really don't know him.
Certainly you shouldn't lend ANYONE such money without a signed and properly worded contract, specifying when and in what amounts he will repay you.
I'd worry about the chances that his business will be a success : you don't put every cent you possess into equipment, leaving nothing for emergencies, and you don't rely so totally on one order, or assume everyone will repay you exactly on time.  If he genuinely doesn't have R 3000 for his mom's treatment, how can he run the business, keep the lights on, buy new stock, pay employees, etc. ?
Maybe you can suggest he discuss the situation with her doctor : sometimes much can be saved by choosing generic medicines ; and maybe she can be seen at a provincial hospital or clinic where, depending on her income, she could get meds free or at least at low cost. 
While psoriasis can indeed be  really nasty illness, it usually develops gradually, so if it's so bad now, it may have been neglected or untreated for some time.