Question
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2003/02/10

SHOULD I EXERCISE AT A LOWER INTENSITY OR NOT?

I do indoor cycling 3 times a week for 40 minutes. I divided it into two 20 minute sessions. In each session I burn about 250 calories. I decided to increase my time by adding 10 minutes onto my second session and lowering my intensity during that workout which allows me to burn an extra 100 calories. I did this because I was told that I am more likely to burn fat during a lower intensity workout out then a high one. So instead of exercising 40 minutes and burning 500 calories, I'm exercising 50 minutes burning 600 calories. Is this better for fat and fitness levels?

Dear Michelle
One must never underestimate the long-term effect of exercise on factors such as Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR), which helps you use up even more kJ than the ones you burn while doing the exercise. If you can burn more energy by working at a lower intensity then this will also help you to lose more weight. Check with Fitness Doc what the different intensities do to your fitness.
Keep up the good work.