Question
Posted by: MICHELLE | 2003/02/10

Should I exercise at a lower intensity?

I do indoor cycling 3 times a week for 40 minutes. I divided it into two 20 minute sessions. In each session I burn about 250 calories. I decided to increase my time by adding 10 minutes onto my second session and lowering my intensity during that workout which allows me to burn an extra 100 calories. I did this because I was told that I am more likely to burn fat during a lower intensity workout out then a high one. So instead of exercising 40 minutes and burning 500 calories, I'm exercising 50 minutes burning 600 calories. Is this better for fat and fitness levels?

HI Michelle

It's a myth - what is true is that at a lower exercise intensity, a greater percentage of the energy comes from fat. However, at higher intensities, you burn more energy per minute, therefore even though a higher percentage of energy comes from carbohydrates, you are actually probably burning more fat grams per minute than at a lower intensity.

HIgher intenisty training will make you fitter. Rather than doing the same session each time, vary your intensity. Log onto Shape up for SUMMER and see the cycling programme for some ideas on exercise intensity.
Also consider the option of at least one session of weight-bearing exercise each week (to increase bone density).

Good luck.