Posted by: aldes | 2009/06/09

Should I check hormones &  sugar before starting diet

About a year and a half ago, my gynae diagnosed polycystic ovaries. I had gone off the pill 3 years before and was slowly picking up weight which i could not get off. gynae said polycystic ovaries would cause weight gain, but that if I went back on the pill I would probably manage to shake extra weight. About 6 months later, I went back to gynae coz I had only lost 4 kg' s in 6months at weighless. gynae said my sugar levels were borderline and prescribed glucophage. I took these for a short while and then stopped for no real reason. Should i follow one of your eating plans regardless or should I first have my sugar levels and ovaries etc. checked first? I get dispondent when I work hard at losing weight and nothing happens, so I don' t want to start this if there are ' other'  reasons for me not being able to lose weight.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Aldes
Because you have in the past had PCOS and insulin resistance, I would urge you to first have the tests done by your gynaecologist so that you know if you are insulin resistant and if your PCOS is still a problem. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications the dr may prescribed, and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min per day.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.