Question
Posted by: janine | 2006/11/07

should i be worried?

I am so worried about my weight, i know i shouldnt really be. I eat a cereal in the morning then 5 hours later i would eat yoghurt and fruit and then a meal for dinner with meat and veggies. I found though that my lunch left me feeling tired and dizzy meaning i wasnt getting the right nutrients and vitamins my body needed. I have now started eating something more filling, still healthy but it includes a starch. I drink about 1 litre of water a day and about 2 cups of coffee a day. i also excersise for half an hour 5 days a week. I am 19 and weigh 61, my height is 1,69 or so. Will i put on weight now that i am eating a bit more in the afternoon?

Dear Janine
Your present BMI = 21,3 which is ideal for your height, so you do not need to worry about losing or gaining weight. The reason why you feel dizzy and tired is that your diet does not contain sufficient carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI). Low GI foods and carbs ensure that your blood sugar levels stay steady and don't drop to such low levels that feel as if you are going to faint. You may also suffer from hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar), so what you need is a low GI diet. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Select low GI carbs and other low GI foods (e.g. fat-free yoghurt or cottage cheese or tuna canned in brine) to ensure that each meal is low GI. Eating a low GI diet should help you to feel better.

1
Posted by: Mike | 2006/11/07

To lose weight, it's better to eat 3 meals & 3snacks a day.
I eat cereal. But then 10am is snack time. This makes sure you don't get hungry(cereal won't keep you full for 5 hours).
Eating 6 times a day(small portions) will keep your metabolism up which will help you to lose weight.
Coffee helps retain water, it's no problem to drink 2 cups a day. But 1lt water is too little. I drink 750ml water while gyming.
Try and drnk at least 2 lt water.

Reply to Mike