Question
Posted by: Jess | 2006/04/03

Should I be honest and tell him?

Hi All

I met a guy a two months ago. He is kind loving, supportive, makes me smile and never let me go to bed without saying good night.
We have not big issues in our new found friendship. The thing is, should I tell him that I was diagnosed with Schizo affective Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder two years ago and that I am on medication since then?
He only knows me as this calm and sweet person.
What if I have a relapse? He will then see who I really am.

I don't want to lose his friendship but how do I go about to tell him that there is much more of me that he has to know of.

Thanks, Jess, for raising an important general, as well as specific, point, which is widely ignored. I dont think it's limited to psych conditions. If you were becoming close to someone in a relationship, wouldn't it be fair to tell them that you had diabetes, or epilepsy ? Also, think of the positions being reversed --- would you want to know this, if it was HIS problem ? And would it change the way you feel about him ?
I believe in honesty within a relationship, which would imply tactful telling ; if he loves you or at least cares about you, it shouldn't make a significant difference to how he feels about you.

2
Posted by: Freda | 2006/04/03

Not Telling could lead stress, which can lead to relapse, and I am sure you know that....?

Is very difficult, but it helps. He sounds like the kind who would love and care more because he knows who you are..

Reply to Freda
Posted by: LJ | 2006/04/03

Please do tell him. Honesty is very important to all levels of a relationship. He will understand YOU if and when you have a relapse and that it is only temporary and not something he can "catch" like flu.

Reply to LJ