Posted by: Annie | 2008/10/06

Should I be concerned

My six year old son told me today that he stole my panties to put them on. When i asked him why he first said that one of his classmates told him to put panties on so that he can be a cowgirl. When i said that i would speak to his principal about this, he said that he was lying. He is angry with me for asking why. Should i be concerned? is he now gay or am i just over reacting. He also comes home lately with alot of sexual terminolgy. I dont know what to do.

It sounds as though there may be more talk among the kids in his class about sexual matters than is usual, and it might be worth calmly disussing this with his class teacher. But don't panic. It's not unusual for kids at this age to be curious and experimental, and to try out things they see or hear about, especially if there's encouragement from other kids. His initial explanation could well be true, and retracted only because he'd feel foolish if you discussed this with his prrincipal. And he'd be angry because he felt embarrassed. I doubt that this is any evidence that he is gay --- some kids are, but this is not typical behaviour revealing that. As Sg wisely points out, a severe over-reaction on your part may be more damaging to him than whatever ( and it may be very little, in fact ) underlies this specific event

Posted by: Annie | 2008/10/08

Thanks so much. I didnt have a harsh reaction because im very open with my son. Iast nite he asked for a pair of panites because he said that the voices in is head are telling him to. Ill just monitor this and see what happens

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Sg | 2008/10/07

That is very young for sexual terminlogy to be used.A chat to his teacher might be appropriate.
I doubt whether he is showing gay tendencies as he is too young.
Just watch the situation but don' t be too harsh with him as it might in fact harm rather than benefit.

Reply to Sg