Posted by: Mari | 2008/08/04


What are shin splints,is there any remedy available and you get them without doing any jogging?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Hello Mari,
The correct term for 'shin splints' is either inflammatory shin pain or traction periostitis. Pain along the medial (inside) border of the tibia (shin) which usually decrease with warming up. Pain is usually recurs after exercise and is worse the following morning.
Excessive pronation of the foot (flat feet) is often a cause however the biomechanics of the whole lower leg need to be considered. Basically muscles in the shin being irritated due to abnormal foot and lower leg movements and/or restrictions which then pulls on the periostium (covering of the bone).
Any activity can give these symptoms.

Remedy would to get some medial arch supports if you have flat feet. Better still see your local osteopath.
For more information on osteopathy visit

Best regards

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.