Question
Posted by: Willemien | 2006/04/18

Shins

Ek is 'n stapper en stap nou al vir 'n jaar by 'n klub. My probleem is elke keer wanneer ek begin stap my shins baie seer is en eers nadat ek omtrent 3km gestap het en my bene warm is dan gaan die pyn weg - ons doen wel opwarmingsoefeninge en ek smeer voor die tyd met deap heat, maar niks help nie, wat meer moet ek nog doen?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Willemien

Could be a few things.
Foremost is stretching and warming up before exercise. A minute or two may not be enough in your case.
Another cause can be overstriding. As you progress with your run, you may find that your stride decrease in length causing less pain in the shin region.
Surface changes. if your initial surface is hard and then changes to softer or less cambered that can be a cause.
Muscle imbalances where one is stronger than the other.
Dr P