Question
Posted by: Nix | 2004/01/26

Shingles & babies

Good day - I have just been diagnosed with possible shingles by my doctor. It has been caught pretty early and I have been given medication for it.
I am off to the states to visit my sister and her new baby at the end of the week and would like to know if this could be a potential problem - ie would it be harmful to the baby? I got the first symptoms only yesterday and am starting the medication today. I will be in the states 6 days from now. The baby is currently just under 3 months old.
If you could advise urgently?

Nix, if you have no more wet blisters by the time you arrive in the USA, the baby will be safe. That said, there is only a very small theoretical possibility that a person with Shingles can give chicken pox to a child. Good luck.