Question
Posted by: Pat | 2008/05/21

Shingles?

This is the best thing - specially now -
Please give me advice for Shingles -
I am not on medical aid and unemployed - I cannot afford to go to the doctor - I live with my sister and her family that is
how come I have access to internet.
I will be 54 in July,Last Monday 13th the top of my left leg (from my knee to my groin) I was so very itchy.
It looked as if the spider veins in my leg was bursting (like it was pigment bruises - very ugly). That night
I could not sleep it throbbed, I then had pains in my abdomen, then I thought, shucks, I have appendix bursting,
I really am not feeling well, I have headaches, I feel so down that I just want to sit and cry. Now, I have an ugly
very itchy red little blister type rash.
Please let me know what home remedie I can use.
Many, Many thanks,

Dear Pat
If possible try to get antiviral treatment like acyclovir- you get generics that is not that expensive but you need to take it within 48 hours of the blisters starting. Then keep the area clean and use a antiseptic cream like Betadine on the area to prevent secondary infection. This may become very painful and you may need strong paintablets like Dolorol Forte. If the blisters dry and the area is still very painful, you can try Sloans liniment on the area.