Posted by: Brad | 2009/09/27

Shin Splits - is there a cure

Good day

I am 27 years of age and fairly healthy. During my younger years I partook in swimming, nippers, waterpolo and biathlon competitions. Ever since leaving school I have tried to run but shin splints alwys gets the better of me. I play squash every now and then but my shins whilst playing do not hurt. Only when I run for about 5 minutes do my shins start paining.

I am wanting to partake in the triathlons (small ones and slowly work my way up.), should I just '  continue to start running and maybe, just maybe my shins will get stronger to a point when they no longer hurt. Depending on your advise, I will see a specialist as I am eager to run again as I was extremely good at long distance running in school.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


I suggest that you make an appointment with an orthropaedic surgeon, as well as a podiatrist, for an evaluation and a possible remedy for your problem. A physiotherapist can advise you on which exercise will be good for improving your symptoms, as well as what exercise will have a negative effect, i.e. training on a surface that has a camber.

Please refer to the following link for detailed information regarding shin splints:


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.