Question
Posted by: Mel | 2005/11/22

Shin splints?

I am a regular runner and I am reasonably fit but I have always suffered from shin splints at some stage and forced to stop. For example for the past two months I have been running three times a week with no pain. Did the Big Walk (20km) with no problem. Rested one day after the walk and then did an easy 6km, with no problems. Rested another day before running again but this time I could only run for five minutes due to shin splints. It felt like my shins were going to snap. I actually started to limp as soon as I walked. It seemed my left shin was worse than my right but they were both sore. Why do I get shin splints so often? Is there anyway I can stop this from happening? And how long should I wait now before I start to run again? I really would like to do the Two Oceans Half- Marathon again and try to get silver. Can you please help?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Mel, there may be several reasons why you develop shin splints. Too much too soon are often the most obvious reason. What's too much for yoy might norbe too much fot the next guy. If you keep on getting the same problems please consult a sports physician or podiatrist because there might be more than just too much too soon. Its difficult and cubersome to discuss in full on a forum.
Pea