Question
Posted by: Carl | 2004/03/12

Shin splints

Hi! I play netball, action (indoor) and outdoor, and I'm getting shinsplints from the outdoor. I play indoor with basketball shoes, and outdoor with crosstrainers, but the shinsplints come from one practice outdoor with running shoes. Is there something I can do to help die healing along? It's getting better, but is definately still there.Thanks!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Carl

Stretch your calves - especially making sure the knee is as straight as can be when doing so - this will get the gastrocs which when tight makes the muscle in front - the tibialis anterior - create the feeling of shin splints.

Douglas