Question
Posted by: Gracie | 2008/06/06

SHELDEAN

The trial of Sheldean's murderer is really getting to me - that bastard is guilty, he showed the police where to find her body, yet his attorney and his family make excuses for him. I hope that he rots in hell and that every day of his life will be filled with misery and at night he will have the most horrific nightmares! How the hell does a 7 year-old girl entice a man!!?? Get real - he is a SICKO and he needs to suffer for the rest of his miserable life for what he did - the death penalty (if we were fortunate enough to still have it) would be too quick for him. He must suffer and hopefully he will be beaten and raped whilst he is in prison. He does not deserve a lesser sentence - 50 years is too short for him - he must never be allowed to walk freely in our streets again - NO children are safe with monsters like him around. My heart goes out to her family.

Obviously I have not met or examined the murderer. It seems typical of many sociopaths that they take no responsibility for their acts and either deny reality or blame others, or both. I gather a psychologist who examined him testified that he had an IQ of something like 74, which is LOW, so he is not very bright and could be rather child-like and scared to form relationships with real adult women ( but like much psych evidence, that may help[ us understand the picture more fully, but doesn't excuse what he did.. Explanations are not excuses, and vice versa ). The evidence apparently being offered in mitigation of sentence could also be considered to argue that he should receive a longer sentence, as it would suggest he was unlikely to reform or to be able to live a normal non-custodial life without being a risk to vulnerable others in the future.

2
Posted by: M | 2008/06/09

What gets me is that they want a lighter sentence because he is a "first time" offender. Since when, just because this is the first time he was caught does not make him a first time offende???? He's been doing this in the past and if it was my daughter I would be going to jail now for murder.

Reply to M
Posted by: Tracie | 2008/06/06

Hear hear. He is looking for 'justice' and some leniency. Where is Sheldean to ask for her share of justice?

Reply to Tracie