Question
Posted by: Zoe | 2003/12/02

shed fat in one area?

I have some fat on my upper most part of my inner thigh and dieting doesn't seem to be getting rid of it. I do a lot of leg exercises and i'm scared that certain exercises can make the muscle larger.
Is there a specific exercise that i can target for this section of my thigh alone, without making the muscle too large??
Thanks!!

Hi Zoe

Doing specific leg exercises can make the muscle larger, but only if you use a really high resistance (or large weights). So, what you need to make sure of is that you are not using this heavy weight, but that you are doing more reps with a lighter weight and you should be OK. Remember also that it is not really possible to "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your stomach, thighs and abdominals by just doing exercises for those areas. This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the 'Zone-in-on' section of the Health 24 website (www.health24.co.za). You can find this section under 'Fitness', and then just click on the image that shows the areas you want to work on, and you will be able to see the exercises relevant to you.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!