Question
Posted by: Lolly | 2003/01/15

She drinks too much formula

I have a 1 year old daughter who drinks a lot at night. She drinks almost 750ml of formula every night . I've tried introducing her to different liquids. I used tea as from moday and she drinks even more, I tried water and she hates it because she cries once she realises that it's water. I need your help as this is so frustrating. I don't get enough sleep and I have to be at work every morning. What am I doing wrong.

Dear Lolly
I think you need to do 2 things a) wean her from the formula very slowly over a period of 2-3 weeks (even adults have difficulty going cold turkey when they have to give up things they like because such foods comfort them b) if she is still drinking from a bottle with a teat (?), then just don't replace the old teats when they get worn out - she will give up the bottle by herself. This is the kind of problem that is created when one gives babies bottles in bed - it is much better to get them used to the idea that they can have a drink of water from a cup once they are old enough to drink out of one. Keep in mind if you have another baby.

2
Posted by: Lolly | 2003/01/20

Hi Anon;
Thanks for the reply. I might as well relax hopefully when the time is right she'll stop drinking too much milk. I guess there's nothing to worry about as there's no harm.

Reply to Lolly

Hi Lolly, I can't offer advice, but I do understand. Both of my children, (now older) were on Lactogen until about the age of 4. They also both had approx 1 litre of formula a night and would not take water or anything else. I allowed it as my sleep was important, and when going to bed would make 4 x bottles and prop them up on the bed or on the table. They would help themselves in the night. I only weaned them late from this sometime in their 4th year. I don't say it is good at all, but it has not done any harm and it was easier to explain to them when they were older as to why were are stopping formula.