Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2007/05/04

Sharp pain in back of head + nasal blood

I have a intermittent (once or twice a month) usually during periods of high stress.
This alone does not worry me but I have noticed that if I blow my nose the day after this pain, I have blood in the mucus....
This worries me.
I do spray inflanse irregularly due to sinus problems.

Please advise if this is something I should be concerned about?

Nicole

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Nicole,

It is possible that the same process that causes your headaches is responsible for the nose-bleed – if so, then if your headaches are successfully treated, then the nose-bleed should also subside. Having said that, it is still necessary to have proper diagnosis, as there are other causes. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, including the sinuses, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.