Question
Posted by: New Dad | 2006/07/21

Shark of a gynae!!

We just received a shock when our gynae in CT billed us R5900 for the natural delivery of our baby. I checked with Discovery and they pay only R1792.70 which is supposedly medical aid rates. This means the shark of a gynae billed us at 330%!!

Do any of you have supporting information? What did your gynaes charge for the delivery? I feel we're being taken for a ride....

Most gynaecologists do not charge Medical Aid rates. This should have been checked beforehand. Doctors are entitled to charge MASA rates which are about 3 times Medical Aid rates.

6
Posted by: Discovery Health Member | 2006/07/21

It is not excessive. My gynae charges R5900 for a natural delivery and R 6300 for a ceaser, which are the fees based on the International Obstetrics Fees. I contacted Discovery Health's Pre-Assessment department for a break-down of the costs that they will reimburse for the delivery and I will only be out of pocket about R900 - R1000. The amount that Discovery Pay your hospital and Delivery at is dependant on the Health Plan Option you are on. My gynae has provided me a list of tarrif codes and costs for his procedures including all antenatal visits, the delivery (natural and ceaser), the epidural etc. I was advised to consult with Discovery early in my pregnancy to assess their reimbursement rate.

Don't think your gynae has over-charged you, but more of a case that you didn't know what you were in for before hand with both the gynae and Discovery Health.

HTH

Reply to Discovery Health Member
Posted by: ?? | 2006/07/21

I WORK FOR A DOCTOR, AND YES MOST OF THE DR. OVER CHARGE THERE PASIENTS. THESE DAYS THEY BECOME DR. FOR THE MONEY AND NOT TO HELP PEOPLE LIKE IN THE OLD DAYS.

Reply to ??
Posted by: Lou | 2006/07/21

R1800.00 is definately not standard rate for natural delivery of a baby. The average cost from every single Ob/Gyn is R5900 - R6200, so your doctor charged you the average price.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: New Dad | 2006/07/21

Absolute greed - I agree. When I asked the gynae about the bill the reply was "I need to make a living"!! Imagine calling 15 to 20 deliveries per month at R5900 each making a living!

The gynae didn't give us a pricelist, but now says that it is available at reception. I had no reason to suspect that she charges 3X standards rates, which is why I didn't see any reason to ask for prices. To me reasonable would have been, say 150% medical aid rates. I can't believe they get away with this.

Reply to New Dad
Posted by: Purple | 2006/07/21

In 2004 we were charged R5 700 in Joburg. The rate hasn't gone up much at all.

Didn't you get a quote from the gynae beforehand. We were given a full price list up front with details of appointment costs, scan costs, birth fee, what an epidural would cost and that the 6 week post birth check up was included in the birth fee.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: mom | 2006/07/21

All doctors ripp you off! It's called greed.

Reply to mom