Question
Posted by: Timo | 2004/11/17

Shark Attacks: What's the fuss all about?

You know, I sympathise with those people who have been attacked sharks and to those who have lost loved ones as a result of shark attacks. However, I truly cannot see what the fuss over this recent attack is all about. It's not as if a shark plans the murder of humans. It's instinct. Everyone needs to recognise that we (humans) are not creatures of the sea. We don't belong there. I'm not saying that we shouldn't enjoy its pleasures, but we should take cognisance of the fact that if we do so, there are dangers and risks involved, and that these risks are random and not premeditated crimes. It saddens me to see how destructive mankind really is. Do we now go out and indiscrimninately kill sharks because of this attack? Do we listen to the cries from those people saying that we should control these monsters? How about those attempting to single out certain sharks like common criminals in order to remove them from civil society? Do we listen to them? How do they know which shark committed these acts? For the sake of the earth and it's well being, let's hope that these foul cries are not supported, because if they are, we can kiss our great white sharks goodbye.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Of all the voices lifted in the debate that’s been raging since Monday morning, I found one of the sanest to be that of Tyna’s daughter, Isabelle Spies (as quoted in the Cape Times):

“A revenge attack would be the last thing that my mom, who was such as gentle person, would want. She said that she respected the shark’s dominion, that when she went swimming she knew she was entering their domain. My mom’s wishes should be respected. She was the person who was attacked, after all. A shark attack is such a rare thing. More important than killing the shark, there should be a look at why there have been more attacks recently.”