Question
Posted by: Coco | 2004/12/21

Shar pei Puppy's eyes

Hi. How do I go about cleaning my puppies eyes.
They tend to have more matter in the mornings.
I've just been using damp cotton wool to clean them but it doesn't seem to be working.

Shar Pei dogs have a multitude of skin problems, affecting the eyes. Usually the eyelids are either rolled in resulting on extra hair on the eye, or rolled out, or there are abnormal hair on the eyelids stretching the eyes. You will need to go see your vet to determine what the problem in this puppy is. Many of these dogs will need surgery to correct the problems that have have been bred into them.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Coco | 2005/01/08

Thaks guys

Reply to Coco
Posted by: y | 2005/01/07

hi, my female shar pei pup also had entropian. The vet stitched her top lids up a bit and after that I used to clean them daily with luke warm salt water and I used Terra-Cortil, it worked like a charm. Good luck

Reply to y
Posted by: Chill | 2004/12/22

What do you mean by 'doesn't seem to be working'? Surely the eyes are clean when you finish?

If they're mucky again the next morning, then you'll have to do it again.

If the discharge seems excessive then get some eye-drops from the vet. Constant moisture in skin folds isn't a good idea, it can set up persistant skin problems which can be very difficult to cure - rather nip it in the bud.

Reply to Chill