Question
Posted by: andy | 2004/09/22

Shakiro stitch

hi ladies
I've been browsing on the site today and came accross something called "shakiro/shikiro sticth" Could anyone please tell me what it is. I've heard about a stitch that you can have to prevent a MC. Is this it and if so how does it work.

You probably mean a shirodkhar sticth. Done if the cervix is thought to be too weak to hold the pregnancy.

1
Posted by: Mich | 2004/09/22

Andy
It is called a Shirodkar stitch. It helps to delay dilation. When the feotus is too heavy, it may put pressure on your birth canal then it dilates. The baby can come early, before it is ready. The stitch reduces early/preterm labour. I had it as well. My baby is now 9mths and fine after I lost a premature baby who came at 6mths.
Ask you doctor about it. Good Luck!!!

Reply to Mich