Posted by: andy | 2004/09/22

Shakiro stitch

hi ladies
I've been browsing on the site today and came accross something called "shakiro/shikiro sticth" Could anyone please tell me what it is. I've heard about a stitch that you can have to prevent a MC. Is this it and if so how does it work.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You probably mean a shirodkhar sticth. Done if the cervix is thought to be too weak to hold the pregnancy.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Mich | 2004/09/22

It is called a Shirodkar stitch. It helps to delay dilation. When the feotus is too heavy, it may put pressure on your birth canal then it dilates. The baby can come early, before it is ready. The stitch reduces early/preterm labour. I had it as well. My baby is now 9mths and fine after I lost a premature baby who came at 6mths.
Ask you doctor about it. Good Luck!!!

Reply to Mich

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.