Question
Posted by: FitFanatic | 2007/08/13

Shake n Shape

Hi All

Some of you might have read the post on Shake n Shape. FitnessDoc has mentioned that he doesn't really support these type of exercise machines.

Here's my view on it. Although I agree that this is not the most effective way of getting into shape or that you should convert from your training to this, I do believe that they work. Here's why:

1) When the body is vibrating/shaking your fat molecules breaks down into smaller particles. This makes it easies for the body to burn the fat at a faster pase.
2) Any muscle that gets stimulated is bound to grow, meaning a more defined body.

These are just 2 reasons why I believe they work. What you should remember though is that as with any other workouts, you need good nutrition to achieve your goals.

Also remember that there is more to these machines than just standing there and shaking your butt off, excuse the pun. Standing in different positions, you can actually work specific areas of the body.

As I said, not the most effective way, but I believe it does work.

What is the Doc's opinion? I'm not saying you wrong at all, but would like to know what you think.

The only bad exercise is NO exercise

Chow
FitFanatic

Hi FitFanatic

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with at least one point completely. The other points you make are correct, but then what people need to decide is which is better?

Now the first point is that a fat molecule that vibrates is broken down - not true. The use of any fuel, including fats, requires enzymes to be active, and these enzymes are active as a result of what is called the sympathetic nervous system. I'm not going to go into detail, but basically, if you want the sympathetic nervous system to be most active, vibrating the body part doesn't work, you need whole body exercise. That's why jogging, cardio etc. elevate the metabolic rate the most ACUTELY. So the idea that a vibration device will burn fat simply by breaking it down manually is incorrect - the body is not structual in that way.

As for the second point, the muscle is not being stimulated. Remember, muscle is stimulated by nerves, not vibrations. Therefore, unless you are applying a massive electrical current to it, it is not stimulated anything like exercise would. So the vibration won't cause muscle growth to compare to exercise, be it resistance or cardio training.

So the point is that the effect you would get from this type of device is extremely limited. What I won't argue with is that notion that any exercise is beneficial, including this kind of device. But that's not really the point - people have other choices, so it's not a case of does it work? That's the basic question, but the real question that needs to be answered is "Does it work better than the alternatives". The analogy is "Should I buy this car?". Well, of course, the answer could well be yes, it goes from A to B and looks good. But the real question is "Should I buy Car A instead of Car B?". And when you do that, then the devices like the Shake and Shape, and others on the market really do fail to do the job, regular cardio training and resistance work is far more effective. Hence, they don't work effectively enough to suggest using them.

4
Posted by: Ross Tucker (Fitness Doc) | 2007/08/13

The other thing I have to point out, as a scientist and researcher, is that the 'research' these companies carry out is really, to be blunt, a joke. The conflict of interests, firstly, makes this kind of work almost meaningless. But that's not to say you discard it based only on the fact that the company doing the research is also the one trying to sell the product! But imagine you're an estate agent, selling a house: "This house has a very weak foundation, the roof leaks in three places, the neighbours are incredibly noisy and when the wind blows from the south, the local compost heap comes through your door!" Seems unlikely, huh?

So when you see "research" supporting a product, you have to ask WHO did it, WHY they did it, and do they have any reason to find something out? The answer is almost always yes.

ANd then finally, it's vitial that the research is published in a peer-reviewed journal. What this means, for example, is that I as a scientist have to do my research and then submit it to a panel of neutral experts, who evaluate it and check that I'm doing everything right! This means checking the methods, the procedures, everything, the tiny details. This is never done for these products, so I really don't believe research at all, because it's never reviewed and almost always done by the company trying to make money on the product!

Ross

Reply to Ross Tucker (Fitness Doc)

Hi Fit Fanatic

Thanks for the reply.

I always look at marketing claims like that and laugh inwardly because they make such radical claims that they actually shoot themselves in the foot! IF they stopped at:
Improved muscle strength and muscle tone
Increased bone density (reduced risk of osteoporosis)

Then it would be believable (in fact there is some evidence of this). But instead, they go on and on, and the next thing you know you have a piece of equipment that does EVERYTHING. So if one believed the manufacturers, then this machine is the greatest miracle since the aeroplane.

So they actually discredit themselves with their greed, because they dilute their own offering. The reality is that one machine won't do all this stuff. But you know what will? regular exercise, just as it has done for many many years. So I say save your money, spend it rather on seeing a dietician and get a good healthy diet sorted out, and then exercise, without these marketing gimmicks!

Cheers
Ross

Reply to Ross Tucker (Fitness Doc)
Posted by: FitFanatic | 2007/08/13

Agreed. They do not work better or more effectively than other exercise methods.

This is a very interesting subject. If you look at the VibroGym for instance, they claim the following:

Fat reduction
Reduced cellulite
Increased blood circulation
Improved lymph drainage
Natural hormone balance
Improved mobility
More stamina
More speed
Rapid recovery
Improved skin tone
Injury rehabilitation
etc.

My company has just received 1 for a trail period. We will have 4 clients and myself testing this to see what the results are and if we experience the benefits they claim. Will keep everyone updated. They also have research that was done by a few on the VibroGym on their website. Just do a search on VibroGym.

I love this industry, always growing and so many opinions :-)

Stay Fit
FitFanatic

Reply to FitFanatic | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Michelle | 2014/08/09

So what were the results of your vibration machine trial?? I would love to hear : )