Question
Posted by: Concerned mom | 2005/12/06

sexually abused daughter's symptoms

About two weeks ago we found out that my six year old daughter was molested over a period of time by my father-in-law. We are all seeing a specialist to deal with the emotional side of it. Thinking back of the physical signs, I recall ,while bathing her, seeing redness around her vagina , this was a few days after a holiday with her grandparents ( we now know she was abused on that holiday). I asked her if it was itchy or sore, she said it was O.K., that I should not worry about it. I regret not acting on it - I knew I saw it before, but thought it could not be an infection if it is not bothering her. Now that it is out, I asked her about it, and she said that it in fact was itchy and burny. I would like to know what infection could cause that and if there could be lasting symptoms to watch out for? I am worried about things like Herpes virus for instance. What is the chances for AIDS?

It really depends if your father-in-law had any infections. It would probably be a good idea to take her to a gynaecologist and have a swab taken to exclude the commoner things such as gonorrhoea.

3
Posted by: Michelle | 2005/12/07

i am sorry for what has happened to your poor child. Just for constructive advise i would take her to a woman gynae (you don't want to scare the child more with another man looking at her privates) and just have certain things checked out- just to rule out any other STD's etc. The gyane will know what to look for and what medicine a child can take if need be. good luck, and keep your chin up

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: Jo | 2005/12/07

It is one of the hardest things to be a mom, to be so completely responsible for your child, emotionally and physically, and yet not be able to hold them in our arms all the time to protect them from anything that might be harmful to them. Concerend Mom, I pray that you are given the strenghth and courage to face your father-in-law, and hope that your daughter grows into a healthy and happy woman. All the best.

Reply to Jo
Posted by: Shez | 2005/12/07

I cant offer any advice Concerned Mum, but I just want to tell you how sorry I am that your little angel had to go through this horrible ordeal.
I also have a six yr old child and I know how sweet and innocent they are at that age.
I will add you and your little one to my prayer list and hope that with time this will all be behind you and there will be no long term side effects.

God Bless
Shez

Reply to Shez