Question

Sexual addiction

Hi everyone,

Is there really such a thing as a sexual addiction? I read on the Internet that its just a form obsessive-compulsion but it also responds well to the 12-step program which treats other addictions? And how would someone know if that had a sexual addiction - what are the signs?

Thanks!

I agree with Mickey. It's become a fashionable term, used generally as an excuse for someone who chooses to behave irresponsibly. I enjoy classical music and often indulge in it, but calling it an addiction would help nobody. Obsessive-compulsive people tend to over-do almost anything, and I guess if a 12-step program took enough time, at least it would keep them out of bed for a bit longer.
CBT is the best bet for any sort of bad behaviour / bad habits. My concern with 12-step programs is that they tend so often to be unending, and to become a career rather than a cure

2
Posted by: Micky | 2008/06/13

I personally think that “sex addiction” …is just a term given for bad behaviour! Define sex addiction??
Someone who CANT’ or WONT control their sexual urges? I cant see how the 12 step programme can help with this “addiction” ..this is a behaviourial problem best dealt with by applying CBT therapy for example… just my opinion!

Reply to Micky
Posted by: Moon | 2008/06/13

I'd suppose there would be something like that. The odds are good, for the behaviour gets rewarded... So the person will "learn" its good...

Reply to Moon