Question
Posted by: Neil | 2005/07/28

Sexual addiction

You wrote about sexual addiction earlier - very interesting. What percentage of gay men is SA are sexually addicted? Thanks.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Neil and thanks for visiting this forum,

I can't answer your question - sexual addiction (also referred to as sexual compulsion) is a relatively new term and although a fair amount of research has been published, no-one knows how many people it affects. Certainly not in South Africa. We do know that it affects more men than women, but I was unable to find any research as to whether it affects more straight or gay men.

One American report I saw estimates that 6% of the general population could present with this addiction.

2
Posted by: Conrad | 2005/07/29

I read the other answer about this (question 60), I think it is more common in gays than we want to admit, there is a whole industry developed around this, steambaths and sex clubs and darkrooms and gaydar and escort agencies and porn. People are making money from this.

Reply to Conrad
Posted by: marco | 2005/07/29

About 10%?

Reply to marco