Question
Posted by: Irritated | 2005/07/27

Sexual addiction

Firstly, a message to Kyle: I know you'll read this - your name keeps popping up here so you seem to hang around. Your messages are offensive - contantly trying to hook up and get nude pictures? Really trashy. But also quite sad. I hope you've taken note of what the expert asked you - is it possible that you simply can't help yourself and that you're out of control because you have a sexual addiction? If that's the case be a man, own up to the problem and do something about it. Get help. Preferably somewhere else.

Secondly, a question for the expert: what are the symptoms of sexual addiction?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Irritated,

Sexual addiction could be indicated by the following criteria:

1. A preoccupation with or constantly craving sex. 2. Continually engaging in sexual behaviour in spite of negative consequences - such as broken relationships or HIV infection. 3) Neglecting other life areas, such as work, family, school or friends in order to pursue sex. 4) Spending much time in activities related to sex - cruising, watching porn, surfing the web or porn or chatting in chatrooms. 5) Attempts to minimise, justify or 'hide' the behaviour.

A person with a sexual addiction may feel remorse or guilt about his/her behaviour, and may go through a process of bargaining with him/herself ("I'll stop this next week" or "Once more and then I'll stop"). Usually the behaviour persists in spite of negative consequnces, and addicts may need ever-increasing 'doses' to satisfy them. This could include watching porn, telephone sex, masturbation, surfing the Internet for porn, cruising, sex with strangers or making exessive sexual demands on a partner.

Sexual addiction can occur in tadem with other addictions - alcohol or drug addiction.

If you're concerned that you may have a sexual addiction, call the Gay & Lesbian Helpline on (021) 4 222 500 any day between 1pm and 9 pm, or Triangle Project on (021) 448 3812, or make contact with a doctor or psychologist in your area.

3
Posted by: F.K. | 2005/07/29

Sounds very different to just being always very horny, which I always thought it was. Puts a new slant on things. I agree with Anon and Dieter.

Reply to F.K.
Posted by: Dieter | 2005/07/28

You said it - this is VERY spooky. Never thought about it like this before but it makes sense. I suppose anything that's seriously good and creates a high can be addictive - if coke can do it, why not -|- ? (sorry) I hope some of those guys who live at the gay clubs and are always cruising everywhere, even at gym, are reading this.

Reply to Dieter
Posted by: Anon. | 2005/07/28

Seriously, I know quite a few guys who fit this profile perfectly. One guy slips away from work to try to find sex and spends his entire weekend watching porn or surfing the net, he gets irritated when I visit him because I'm intrudung on his hunting for sex on gaydar. Spooky stuff!

Reply to Anon.