Posted by: liese | 2005/07/20

Sexual abuse

I have a friend who was abused as a young boy. Now that he has told me, I do not know what he is going through, or how to handle his emotional distance. Help

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

People experience a wide range of unpleasant experiences, which they may or may not allow to shape or distort the experience of their lives. They need proper therapy from a properly trained and experienced and versatile therapist. They don't need any specially specific, specialized for of support from a friend, rather than the powerful general formats of support --- being available to listen if and when they wish to talk about what's troubling them, and general encouragement towards becoming engaged in therapy. It's the same as would be needed if he had appendicitis --- general support from you, and strong encoy\uragement to see a surgeon asap.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: liese | 2005/07/26

Thanks, will give encouragement!

Reply to liese
Posted by: liese | 2005/07/21

I have suggested that. How can I be more supportive?

Reply to liese
Posted by: SR | 2005/07/21

liese = He needs to go for therapy and get in a peer group of people who have experienced the same but overcome their challenges or are busy overcoming their challenges

Reply to SR

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.