Question
Posted by: liese | 2005/07/20

Sexual abuse

I have a friend who was abused as a young boy. Now that he has told me, I do not know what he is going through, or how to handle his emotional distance. Help

People experience a wide range of unpleasant experiences, which they may or may not allow to shape or distort the experience of their lives. They need proper therapy from a properly trained and experienced and versatile therapist. They don't need any specially specific, specialized for of support from a friend, rather than the powerful general formats of support --- being available to listen if and when they wish to talk about what's troubling them, and general encouragement towards becoming engaged in therapy. It's the same as would be needed if he had appendicitis --- general support from you, and strong encoy\uragement to see a surgeon asap.

3
Posted by: liese | 2005/07/26

Thanks, will give encouragement!

Reply to liese
Posted by: liese | 2005/07/21

I have suggested that. How can I be more supportive?

Reply to liese
Posted by: SR | 2005/07/21

liese = He needs to go for therapy and get in a peer group of people who have experienced the same but overcome their challenges or are busy overcoming their challenges

Reply to SR