Question
Posted by: pat | 2005/01/07

sex of baby and twins

i would just like to know if there is a way of making sure you have a boy?
also,is it possible to try and have twins if there are no twins in your family?

Please check the archives under Gender for answers to your first question.
Fertility drugs can increase the chances of having twins, but these are only used if there is a good reason.

5
Posted by: Golly | 2005/01/07

Pat,

Just some statistics: the chances of twins occuring naturally is about one in 80 while the chances of conceiving twins while receiving In vitro fertilisation increases to one in 40.

Natural twins are also more common when some close family member (aunts, mother or sisters) has had twins. Some people find it hard enoug just getting pregnant and to them the thought of trying for a specific sex is not a big issue. Most docters would agree that your chances of conceiving a boy is just as good as a girl despite waht many preparations and diets would have you believe. Best is to have intercourse on the day of ovulation or just after ovulation with nothing before to increase your chances of a boy. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. Good luck in trying and please let us know if your plan works!

Reply to Golly
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/01/07

Hi Evelyn

I agree with you but some genetic diseases are only passed onto certain sexes so I can understand why some people would want to do what they can to save themselves and their children the heartbreak.

Sparks

Reply to Sparks
Posted by: Evelyn | 2005/01/07

I just don't understand why people are so picky about the sex of the baby. If you know how many out there want babies so badly and are not able to conceive you would just appreciate your baby regardless of whether it is a girl or boy!

People need to be thankful to God for what is bestowed upon them instead of wanting more and more!

Reply to Evelyn
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/01/07

I was given clomid even though I ovulate perfectly regularly all on my own. I think the doctors idea was that it would increase my chances of becoming pregnant as I have one blocked tube so pretty much could only get pregnant every second month or so. However, it only increased mature egg production on my blocked side.

Boys are apparently more common the closer you have intercourse to ovulation. The theory behind it is that sperm can live for up to 5 days after intercourse and the female ones live longer than the male. Meaning if you have intercourse 5 days before ovulation only female ones will still be alive by the time you ovulate. Also the male ones swim faster so if you have intercourse very close to ovulation they are more likely to reach the egg first. That's what I've read anyway during my year and 1/2 of TTCíng. Can't wait to move onto the pregnancy books. Good luck

Sparks

Reply to Sparks
Posted by: Jessica | 2005/01/07

Don't know about the boy thing, but twins (identical) happens to anybody it's a very unidentifiable thing, non-identical twins runs in families, since the woman produce more than one egg in a month, which is not common,

The other way to get twins is if you go on clomid to ovulate it sometimes let you produce more than one egg, or if you go for in vitro fertilisation, however clomid will only be give to somebody if they are not ovulating at all.

Jessica

Reply to Jessica