Question
Posted by: Concerned New Mum | 2006/07/20

Sex during pregnancy

Hi there i am about 23 weeks pregnant now and i have a lack for wanting to have sex i am also afraid that when my husband and i are having sex and he is on top of me he might hurt the baby, he is quite heavy and when we are having sex he tends to leave me breathless where i cannot breath very well, is this safe or is he harming our baby???
Another question that i am having is that i am very emotional and tend to cry alot and i am very irritable with alot of people especially my family members (Mother, Sister, Nephews & Brother in law) how can i deal with this and is it effecting my baby?
And my last Question, do i have the right of maternity leave, i am working for a company called skytoys for the last 5 years and my boss has not registered me for UIF and i am not too sure of my rights and how long i am allowed to take maternity leave please do inform me of my rights or can you give me a contact number or email address of someone i can contact in regard to this matter.

Thanking You
Concerned New Mum

It is common to lack libido during pregnancy. Your husband will not harm the baby, but if you feel uncomfortable, try a different position or use non-penetrative sex.
Being emotional is part of pregnancy. Explain this to your family and ask for their understanding.
I hope that Lou and Cat have helped with the Maternity leave issue.

2
Posted by: Cat | 2006/07/20

Considering your company has not registered you for UIF and now you cannot claim I think you should rather talk to your boss about paying you what you shouldve got from the government - As the lady prior to me said that your boss can get fined very heavily should the government find out that he has not registered his employees -

Always remember that your baby is protected by the placenta - the baby is pretty safe from most things - be on top of your husband rather not let him take all the air out of you -
Dont worry about the emotions thats just your hormones and the changing of your body during this time -

Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy

Reply to Cat
Posted by: lou | 2006/07/20

Your husband must not lie on top of you during or after sex, it can damage the baby. You should rathe try the "spooning position" where he lies behind you - this leaves the tummy area free.
By law your company has to be paying over UIF for you, if they are not then they are in contravention of the labour law and can be fined very heavily if found out. You must tell your boss that by law you are entitled to 4 months maternity leave, an you wish to be collecting UIF during this time to support yourself, so he will have to register you now. He will have to make a back payment,so dont expect him to be happy about this, however the way he is running his company is against the law, and he could find himself in very deep hot water if he doesn't comply (and very quickly).

Reply to lou