Posted by: cjvb | 2008/06/04

Sex Change

Hi. Please could you help me. My 14 year old son believes he wants a sex change. He doesn't openly exhibit any female characteristics but has admitted to wearing female clothes in private. He seems misguided about the whole concept and procedure as he thinks he can just start taking hormones. Where can I gain more information in order to educate him regarding psychological, emotional and physical changes as well as costs involved. He feels that I am not supporting him.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageTransgender advisor


I would like to echo Tina's congratulations on your openness and willingness to help your child.

There is a lot of information available on the internet about the processes and procedures to follow when an individual considers themselves to be transgendered. A lot of this information can be very misleading and confusing. Therefore the best process to follow is to find a psychologist who is knowledgeable about transgenderism and who would be able to evaluate your child and give a qualified diagnosis. From this point on the psychologist will be able to refer you and your child to other medical practitioners who would be able to assist in the transition process.

If you go to the top of this web page you will find a link just below "Transgender Advisor" "Who is the transgender advisor?". If you follow this link you will find the details of how to contact us. We will then be able to provide you with more information on the process and provide names and contact details for Psychologists and doctors in your area.

Transgender Advisor

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: cjvb | 2008/06/04

Thanks. But not quite sure of the link. How do I contact Tina?
Have read many issues on this forum and they often refer to Tina. Please help me.

Reply to cjvb
Posted by: Tina | 2008/06/04

Hello CJVB

Can I first extend some congratulations on your attitude ( a very positive and supportive one) GREAT!

Depending where you are in the world, you could meet up with some people who can provide you with good information and the sort of assistance needed to determine if your 14 year old identifies with GID (Gender Identity Disorder) and to what degree.

Please follow the link (who is TG Advisor) to the GDX website and get in contact with me there.


Reply to Tina

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.