Question
Posted by: Vicki | 2004/11/17

Sex and high blood pressure

I am 35 weeks pregnant and suffer from high blood pressure that I currently take medication for. The high blood pressure is pregnancy induced. On my last visit to my doctor I read in a magazine that sex should be avoided if you have high blood pressure in pregnancy - is this true? My husband does not want to have sex because of this and is worried that if we do something might happen. Please could you advise.

Sex certainly pushes the blood pressure up but it is not usually advised that you avoid intercourse for this reason. If you want to be absolutely safe, you might do so.

1
Posted by: CHEZ | 2004/11/17

HI THERE.

I am 17 weeks pg and also suffer with high bp. My gynae has not told me to not have sex. If you want to be carefull, try having sex at night "bedtime" because you can lie down and not get up and fall asleep. If you lie still after this it should be fine. But speak to your gynea if you are still unsure.

I don't have sex often because my hubby works late. I am normally asleep when he gets home.

But anyway try the above and see what happens. If it is your time then so be it.

Good luck1

Reply to CHEZ