Question
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/11/14

Sex and CBT.

Hi CS.
CBT's been working very well so far, can nip a bad thought in the butt before it affects my mood. I'm mostly happy, though mostly high too, but I do find I manage better. It's cool not analizing other people's thoughts and actions, because you cannot do that. Saves up alot of space in my scon too, not pondering over shit. Thanks for mentioning CBT a million times. And do mention it a million times more.
Ag and at long, long, looooong last, my hubby saw the seriousness of my addiction, and said I could go for rehab, he will even pay in if it must. Praise Jesus!
Then another thing. I have developed a great fear of sex?! Whenever that times comes, I suddenly feel like a cheap whore. My mood takes a dive and I just can't do it! I get so scared and feel I must remove myself from the scene. WTF's up with that? Never had a problem before, that I can remember, even when hooking way back when. How, using CBT, can I rectify these intense emotions? Must I mention I used to be a whore? A crack whore to be more precise. Every cent went to crack. I've been tempted to try tik or cat or whatever. Something I never tried before. What a total f-up that would be hey.
Thanks.

Hi Clueless,
That fine art of nipping bad thoughts in the bud is a life skill we all need to get better at, so well done at progressing in this regard. Its worthwhile, too, as you recognize, not to insist on trying to over-analyze the un-analyzable --- to recognize how much of what one worries so much about actually isn't worth bothering about.
And marvellous, too, that your hubby has recognized the seriousness of the addiction problem is now supports rehab as needed --- try to be sure that CBT continues and is included in that --- a CBT approach is also valuable for addiction problems.
The recent onset of a fear for / distaste for, sex, is odder. Stay off all the unhelpful substances, and discuss this with your CBT therapist, so it can be worked in to the CBT process --- to understand what are the active elements in this changed attitude, and how also for you to gain control over that.