Question
Posted by: Payback | 2008/01/27

sex addiction

Hi CS,

What is the recovery rate for sex addiction? He now is doing therapy for that! He is a rcovering drug addict, he is clean from drugs for five years. Do you think that this sex thing was always there? and now that the drug thing is gone...did the sex thing now take over? I did some research and read that this sickness stems from early childhood, adolescence? He had a wierd childhood and ran away at the age of 12! He was an addict for 25 yrs. now this sex thing! I just cant get over the humiliation! and the shame I cant even tell my family! cos they will NEVER believe it and will demand I get rid of him. Is this a problem that can be cured? I need to know...I'm going for CBT therapy starting Tuesday..to help me through this.
Please advise.

Firstly, Sex Addiction is not a recognized medical condition, but an invention of some pop psychoplogists in order to sell books and untested remedies. It is not a true adiction, but what you are probably thinking of is a disorder of impulse control, in which someone fails to control their impulses to do something which, even if fine in moderation, is damagin g to himself and others when done to excess. There does seem to be an overlap, and some people are described as "an addictive personality" meaning someone with a consistent tendency to overdo things. SO it doesn't mean that the "sex thing" was "always there" but rather than a weakness for over-indulging himself and not bothering to control himself, not to hesitate enough before doing something that takes his fancy, may have been there, underlying his abuse of drugs, and now his abuse of sex.
I suspect, though, that in a number of situations, someone who is simply promiscuous ( and maybe during the years of drug addiction which tends to dampen down libido and sexual performance, this wasn't an area he may have indulged in greatly ) may use the "But I am a tragic Sex Addict!" as an excuse for simply behaving as they wish to do. Some men are simp,y serial cheaters, because they enjoy what they're doing, and not any sort of addict.
None of these conditions can be "cured", but they can come under useful control IF and when the individual recognizes sincerely that it is a serious problem and that they need to control their bad behaviour.

1
Posted by: SR | 2008/01/28

I have heard on my occassions woman who claim to be addicted to sex and when investigating further evidence of sexual abuse as a child emerges.

Sexual abuse is known to give rise to further behaviours as an adult namely ongoing confusion between love and sex, sexual promiscuity, experimentation, pushing boundaries, sexual abuse and 'gravitation' towards further abuse

CS Can you explain this in relation to your theory that Sexual Addiction is not a true addiction?

Reply to SR