Question
Posted by: Rushdi | 2002/12/23

Severe "shooting" pain

I`ve been experiencing this "shooting" pain which originates in my lower back and extends through my hamstring and calf muscles. I`ve been to treatment with a Chiropractor,Physio and even attempted Acupuncture with all the above professionals advising me of a "pinched" nerve or sciatica, after 5 months of this treatment progress has been "up and down" i lead a very active lifestyle in palying football,squash and surfing which has been dormant for this period. I`m only 23 and already feel like i`m 70. What is the best treatment to follow, stearing clear of a surgeons table ! please help - frustrated

Rushdi, the best would be to first make sure what the problem is by having x-rays taken and seeing a specialist (orthopaedic or neurosurgeon). Once you know what the problem is you can start deciding about alternatives to surgery. Good luck.