Question
Posted by: Fibrotears | 2005/06/12

Severe rectal and vaginal spasms for 3 years now!! Help!!

Dear Dr.

I have had severe rectal and vaginal spasms and pain for 3 years now and it's driving me crazy!

I've been to 30 specialist in the last 3 years but no one could help me. Then I went to a spinal orthopaedic surgeon and pain specialist(one doctor) and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and PNE (pudendal nerve entrapment). I underwent 2 operations for the decompression of the pudendal nerve which was compressed at 5 places (left + right) hoping that this would take the pain away but six months later I'm still in excruitiating pain!

Before the PNE operations I had Botox injections (twice) and DepoMedrol+lignocain injections intravaginal. But that didn't work either. One specialist even removed my appendix!! I'm out of options! With vaginal and rectal examination several triggerpoints can be felt. It feels as hard as cement and when pressed upon it causes the pain I feel every single day. When pressing on the vaginal triggerpoints I can feel the referred pain in my rectum.

I'm 20 and had to stop my BSc studies last year and couldn't continue this year because of the operations. I'd like to study medicine or go into research but I cannot when I'm in so much pain that I cry everyday! I'm in chronic pain and drink Tramadol every single day! Not even morphine syrup takes the pain completely away!

Please help me! I cannot take this pain anymore!

My doctors are at a point where they're telling me to think the pain away! But how can I if I have a chronic pain literally in the butt! If they only knew how it feels!

Please help me!

I presume that endometriosis has been excluded.
The only thing I can suggest is a operation to divide the sacral nerve. This is a complicated operation and not many gynaecologists can do it, but perhaps you could discuss it with your gynaecologist.