Question
Posted by: ouch | 2003/03/11

Severe period pain

to make this short. The pain started +-4 yrs ago.I would have a period that lasted all month. a doctor did a scan and diagnosed polycystic ovarian syndrome. I was given triphasyl. I got a period again, all month even though I was on the pill.
I went to a gynae who did a scan and gave me an all clear as far as the cysts were concerned he said my problem seems to be hormonal. Things were fine after the course of meds I was given by him.
Now it seems to be back and a whole lot worse too. I can't walk when I have my period, myprodol, ponstel and every other pain killer don't help at all. my stomach is bloated all the time and I seem to have pressure on my bladder all the time. The pain is absolutely awful, and makes me feverish and throw up for the first 3 days. I bleed extremely heavily, and all doctors do is prescribe different painkilers that don't help with the pain.

What do you suggest I do?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome does not cause pain, though it can cause irregular periods. With the symptoms you describe, you may have endometriosis. This can only really be diagnosed by having a laparoscopy. Perhaps you should see your gynaecologist again and mention this option.