Posted by: Emotionally Exhausted | 2007/04/10

Severe Mood Swings

A member of my family has severe mood swings and swings from one extreme to the other. This person is often vulgar and if things arent done their way then its the wrong way. This has resulted our family being at each others throats whenever we are around this person.

This person comes from the old conservative school of thinking and refuses to adapt to the current times - always finding faults with others and doesnt see what they are doing is hurting the family. This has led to all of us being emotionally exhausted. We have to always put up a front in front of others when there are major cracks within our own household. No one is willing to do anything about the situation and it has now been close on two years that this has been happening.

The person im referring to is also diabetic and has high blood pressure. could the medication they are on for these medical problems be contributing to the mood swings or could this be some where in the religion of manic depressive/bi polar?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

DO you really need, any of you, to continue to be around this person ? You folks could make it clear that unless they seek proper psychaitric help for their mood swings and bad behaviour, you're just not prepared to accept the pain of being around them. Diabetic treatments ought not to be problematic here, but some medication for high blood pressure can ad to Depression, and might not work well with some proper bipolar meds. If tis aspect of your question suggests that this painful person is actually IN therapy for bipolar disorder, it'd be valuable for the family members to contact the psychiatrist and reveal the problems caused by his bad behaviour ; and it also illustrates why I don't like to see Bipolar Disorder treated by medication alone, but also by CBT style counselling

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.