Question
Posted by: Linda | 2004/02/23

Severe migraines for 25 years

I am trying to find a neurologist in Durban area (PMB also ok) who can perform an operation now offered by Dr Shevel at the headache clinic in JHB. As it is impossible for me to get to the headache clinic as soon as I get a migraine I really need someone closer to Dbn. The operation procedure he does (article in the You) is to tie off or burn closed a few of the veins in the scalp. To determine which veins needs to be tied off though you have to see the surgeon when you have pain. He then establishes which vein needs to be closed off by pressing on it, stopping the blood supply and blood pressure there thereby stopping the pain. Please could you assist me in advising whether there are ANY surgeons in KZN able to perform this operation.

Expert ImageArchive

To the best of my knowledge Dr. Shevel is the only person that performs this procedure. Most Neurologists do not approve of this procedure for the treatment of migraine. There are various other options in migraine prevention that include medication, physiotherapy, acupuncture and aromatherapy.

2
Posted by: Cherie | 2006/08/23

I'm trying to find a headache clicnic in the Durban area, so that i a can send my teenage son for a checkup - he is a chronic headache sufferer.

Please help!

Reply to Cherie
Posted by: Hemu | 2004/02/24

I suffered with trigerminal neuragalia which is the worst form of headache one can suffer from. my final remedy was with acupuncture - try it , it may just work for you. My pain and suffering was over immediately and I am free of it for the past 6 months.

HM.

Reply to Hemu