Question
Posted by: charlene | 2007/03/18

severe leg pains and numbness

my mom suffers from severe legpain, she limps and cannot bend her leg more than 40 degrees, at night she is unable to sleep due to the numbness and shooting pains in her leg. xrays has shown no sign of any problems, but why is this so painfull for her, she has tried everything and doctors cannot give her an answer. please help cant stand seeing her in so much pain. at times she is unable to walk and cannot sit for too long. this has really broken her spirit and she sometimes feels like giving up. i ask to please give me some advise

Expert ImageArchive

Please try gently massaging her abdomen and back of her neck. This should assist with the pain and the function

Apologies for very slow response time

1
Posted by: anotherphysio | 2007/03/21

What type of doctor did she go to? Those symptoms sound serious, not the type you want to ignore. The symptoms sound like they are actually coming from her back- If she hasn't been to a physio yet, it would be a good idea for ideas on how to alleviate the pain (through working on her lower back, exercises and positioning at home) and possibly an appropriate referral to a specialist in this area (orthopaedic surgeon).

Reply to anotherphysio