Question
Posted by: lily | 2004/11/05

severe leg cramps

dear doc

i have over the past 3 months woken up every so often with extreme pain in my calf muscle. it is the worst pain i have ever felt in my entire life. it cramps up and then for about 3 days after i limp as i can not straighten my leg.
what is wrong wit me?

Lily, it is difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you first, but the first thing that comes to mind is an electrolyte (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) disturbance. You can try taking an electrolyte supplement like Slow K® and Slow Mag®, but if that doesn’t work the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.

1
Posted by: lily | 2004/11/07

i have been taking magnesium and woke up this morning with a cramp again! not even 2 days apart! i seriously dont even have time to see a doctor. should i try a different mineral eg sodium,potassium?

Reply to lily