Question
Posted by: M | 2004/10/20

Severe cramping

I have been suffering with severe upper abdominal cramps for almost four days. I'm extremely busy at work and a close family friend passed away a few days ago, so I really don't have time to get to the doctor. The pain comes and goes, it's a spasm-like, stabbing pain that I feel. After a few seconds it disappears and returns a few minutes later. I feel the pain right between my ribs. I thought it would help if I stopped eating solid foods, so my diet since last night has consisted of yoghurt and apple juice. This morning I developed diarrhea and the pain has worsened. In addition, I now have a throbbing headache. On top of all that, I have severe heartburn, for which I drink Soda Water. However, this appears to have made the cramping worse.

I'm at my wits end - I hate taking medication. Is there something I shouldn't be eating or something I should to make this stop. I'm overweight, but I have been quite diligent in watching what I eat of late. I did attend a party on Saturday night where I overindulged somewhat - could this have an effect on my symptoms and how long will this last?

M, it sounds like you have a stomach bug or maybe an ulcer. If it hasn’t cleared up by the time you receive this, the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.