Question
Posted by: scared | 2005/12/09

severe chest cramp/spasm

i am a 22 year old female, my problem is that every now and then i get a severe cramp or spasm sort of inbetween my breast and chest. its difficult to explain. the only way it goes away is if i lie on my back on the floor and take tiny breaths because if i breathe deeply it hurts too much, if feels like it pulls. sometimes when i feel i am getting one and i straighten my back and take deep breaths it will go away. it is not always on the same place either, and sometimes it is so bad it feels like it shoots down to my ribs in sort of a straight line. i dont have medical aid so i cant go see a specialist.

Dear Scared,
This does not sound like a heart problem, could be a muscle spasm or spasm of your esophagus (gullet) . The best will be to go to a GP for a check up and let him/her look at your chest. Are you normally under a lot of stress?

2
Posted by: Same | 2005/12/13

I get the same from time to time. I found that i need to breathe shallow breaths as deep ones hurt too much. I gather courage and then suddfenly give an extremely deep breath which takes it away immediately.
In my case it seems like a trapped wind. Check for a hiatus hernia as well.

Reply to Same
Posted by: scared | 2005/12/13

i have not been for a check up, but have asked a GP in general, with no answers. i dont think i have a lot of stress. the last time this happened i woke up with the pain. could i be stressing at night?

Reply to scared